The AR-15 is one of the most popular rifles in the United States. It is an incredibly customizable platform that allows the user to tailor it to any purpose they might have. One of the most important components of the AR-15 is the trigger. A good trigger can be the difference between a great rifle and an unreliable one. In this article, we will discuss the different types of triggers available for the AR-15, the advantages and disadvantages of each, and some tips on how to choose the best trigger for your rifle.
Types of AR-15 Triggers
When it comes to AR-15 triggers, there are several different types to choose from. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to understand what each type has to offer before making a decision. The most common types of AR-15 triggers are:
• Mil-spec: This is the most common type of trigger used in the AR-15. It is the standard trigger used by the military and is usually found in most stock AR-15s. Mil-spec triggers are reliable and durable, but their heavy pull weight and long travel can make them difficult to shoot accurately.
• Drop-in: Drop-in triggers are pre-assembled triggers that can easily be installed in the AR-15. They are usually lighter and smoother than mil-spec triggers, and can be adjusted to different pull weights and travel lengths. These triggers are a great option for shooters who want a more custom trigger without having to pay for a full custom trigger.
• Custom: Custom triggers are made by gunsmiths and are specifically tailored to the shooter’s needs. These triggers are usually the most expensive option, but they offer the most versatility and precise control over the trigger.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Different AR-15 Triggers
Each type of AR-15 trigger has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It is important to understand these before making a decision.
• Mil-spec: The main advantage of a mil-spec trigger is its reliability and durability. It is also the least expensive option. However, its long travel and heavy pull weight can make it difficult to shoot accurately.
• Drop-in: Drop-in triggers are easy to install and are usually lighter and smoother than mil-spec triggers. They can also be adjusted to different pull weights and travel lengths. The main disadvantage is that they are not as customizable as custom triggers.
• Custom: Custom triggers are the most expensive option, but they offer the most versatility and precise control. They are tailored to the shooter’s needs and can be adjusted to the shooter’s preference. The main disadvantage is the cost.
Why Should You Upgrade Your AR-15 Trigger?
If you’re looking for improved accuracy, a crisper trigger pull, and faster follow-up shots, then an AR-15 trigger upgrade is definitely worth considering. An upgraded trigger will provide a more consistent trigger pull, which can help improve accuracy and reduce the amount of felt recoil. It will also provide a faster trigger reset time, which can be beneficial for quickly engaging multiple targets or for close-quarters engagements.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, an upgraded trigger will also provide a more comfortable shooting experience. This is because an upgraded trigger can provide a smoother trigger pull and a shorter reset time, which can help reduce the amount of strain on your finger and wrist.
How to Choose the Best AR-15 Trigger
When choosing the best AR-15 trigger, it is important to consider your needs and budget. If you are looking for a reliable and durable trigger, the mil-spec trigger is the way to go. If you want a lighter and smoother trigger that can be adjusted to different pull weights and travel lengths, a drop-in trigger is the way to go. If you want the most precise control and customization, a custom trigger is the way to go.
Choosing the right AR-15 trigger can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right knowledge and understanding of the different types of triggers available, you can make an informed decision that best suits your needs and budget. No matter which type of trigger you choose, you can rest assured that you will have a reliable and accurate rifle.